With iOS 17, the system has been given a powerful function, namely route guidance. You can automatically tell others when you have arrived somewhere – or vice versa. As an example: Your child is on the way to a certain location. If it arrived safely, you would automatically receive an iMessage that the destination was reached.
The feature can be activated in iOS 17 in any iMessage chat using the plus sign next to the text field. You have the option to specify a specific location, alternatively you can also specify a time:
- Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Tap New Message at the top of the screen and add a recipient or select an existing conversation.
- Tap +, click “More” and then “Guide” and click Edit.
- Selects one of the following options:
- If I arrive: Enter your destination and mode of transport (driving, public transport or walking) and add a time buffer if necessary. The Travel Companion feature monitors your journey and notifies the recipient if your iPhone doesn’t move for a long time or doesn’t reach your destination as expected. If you successfully reach your destination, the route guidance will be carried out automatically and the person you are talking to will be informed that you and your iPhone have arrived.
- According to a timer: Specify a time period – e.g. B. when you meet someone for the first time. If you do not end the companionship before the set time, the function will notify the person you are talking to.
- Tap Send,
If your iPhone does not arrive at your destination or you do not cancel the route companion and do not respond to the instructions of the route companion function, the details of the iPhone’s journey will be sent to your confidant.
A little tip on the side: When you use the function for the first time, you will receive help on how to use it. It’s also about the details of the release data that your counterpart receives.
If you want to change this again later, this is also possible:
- Choose Settings > Messages.
- Scroll down and tap “Guide”.
- Select which details you would like to share if you do not complete your journey as expected:
- Limited Share your current location, cellular signal and battery status details on iPhone and Apple Watch.
- Complete: In addition to the above data (current location and details about the cellular signal and battery charge level), share the route you traveled and the time when you last unlocked your iPhone or when you last put down your Apple Watch.
transparency: Affiliate links are included in this article. By clicking on it you will go directly to the provider. If you decide to make a purchase there, we will receive a small commission. Nothing changes in price for you. Partner links have no influence on our reporting.